Indonesia confirms 68 dead after magnitude 7.7 NTT earthquake

Must Read

Jakarta (ANTARA) – Indonesia’s disaster management agency said on Monday that 68 people had been confirmed dead following the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) Province, with rescue teams continuing to search for victims.

“We have so far recorded 68 fatalities,” said Berton SP Panjaitan, Acting Head of the National Disaster Management Agency’s (BNPB) Disaster Data, Information and Communication Division, during an online press conference in Jakarta on Monday.

The deaths were recorded in seven districts, with 26 in Manggarai, 24 in East Manggarai, eight in Nagekeo, four in Sikka, and two each in Ende, West Manggarai, and Ngada, Panjaitan said. In addition to the fatalities, BNPB reported that 213 people had been injured.

Aftershocks have also continued to occur. BNPB recorded 1,576 aftershocks, including one measuring magnitude 6.21 and three other significant tremors, while more than 1,500 were too weak to be felt, Panjaitan said.

“We will continue to monitor developments in the number of casualties and report any additional victims who are found. We continue to hope and pray that there will be no further increase in the number of deaths or injuries,” Panjaitan said.

Earlier, the Indonesian government reaffirmed its commitment to accelerating emergency response and recovery efforts following the earthquake that struck the Flores region of East Nusa Tenggara on Saturday, with aftershocks continuing to rattle the region.

Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Cultural Affairs Pratikno said ministers and government officials had been in the province since the first day of the disaster to assess the damage and coordinate recovery efforts.

“Since the first day of the disaster, we have been in NTT to assess the situation on the ground and discuss ways to accelerate the recovery,” Pratikno said.

Related news: Indonesia keeps Rp5 trillion ready as NTT earthquake toll hits 54

Related news: Puan urges modest Independence Day celebrations after NTT quake

Related news: NTT quake: President Prabowo guarantees maximum assistance for victims

Translator: Sean Filo, Kuntum Khaira
Editor: M Razi Rahman
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Latest News

Puan condoles with NTT quake victims, highlights social justice

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Speaker of the Indonesian House of Representatives (DPR RI) Puan Maharani expressed her condolences to the...

More Articles Like This