KPK to question foreigners in immigration extortion case

Must Read

Jakarta (ANTARA) – The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) plans to question several foreign nationals as part of its investigation into alleged extortion in the processing of foreigners’ residence permits.

“There are several follow-up investigative agendas to question several foreign nationals who form part of the extortion scheme,” KPK Acting Director of Investigations Achmad Taufik Husein said.

Speaking at the agency’s Jakarta headquarters on Wednesday night, Taufik said investigators would seek to determine whether the foreigners knew they were being extorted and whether immigration service agents informed them about the alleged scheme.

“Whether only the agents were involved in the extortion, or whether they informed their clients. We are examining whether the foreigners knew they were being extorted,” he said, adding that the questioning would be conducted as the investigation enters its final stage.

“This is indeed approaching the end of the investigation, with the focus now on establishing the extortion scheme,” he said.

The KPK previously conducted a sting operation into alleged corruption involving the processing of foreigners’ residence permits.

The operation led Silmy Karim, then deputy immigration and corrections minister, to surrender to the KPK. President Prabowo Subianto dismissed him the same day.

On June 4, 2026, the KPK named eight suspects in alleged extortion over foreign residence permits between 2022 and 2026, spanning the former Law and Human Rights Ministry and the Immigration and Corrections Ministry.

They included Silmy, who served as immigration director general from 2023 to 2024, and Saffar Muhammad Godam, who served as acting immigration director general from 2024 to 2025.

Other suspects were West Java Immigration Office head Jaya Saputra, West Jakarta Immigration Office head Ronald Arman Abdullah, subdirectorate officials Tessar Bayu Setyaji and Bagus Bramantyo, team head Juniadi Sri Priambudi, and staffer Gusti Benardiansyah.

The KPK alleges the suspects collected about Rp145.5 billion (US$8.1 million) from the scheme between 2022 and 2026.

Related news: President dismisses dy minister Silmy Karim following extortion case

Related news: KPK detains Dy Minister, 7 officials in immigration extortion case

Translator: Rio F, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Primayanti
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Latest News

Indonesia deports Palestinian, Nigerian nationals over visa violations

Tanjungpinang, Riau Islands (ANTARA) - Tanjungpinang Immigration Detention Center in Riau Islands Province has deported two foreign nationals from...

More Articles Like This