Central Papua free education programme reaches 64,000 students

Must Read

Nabire (ANTARA) – The free education programme launched by the Central Papua Provincial Government has reached more than 64,000 students and university students in 2026.

Central Papua Governor Meki Nawipa said in Nabire on Monday the programme was part of the provincial government’s efforts to ensure that financial constraints should not prevent Papuans from accessing education.

“The Central Papua Provincial government this year is financing the education for more than 58,000 students at junior high schools, senior high schools, vocational schools, special schools, and boarding schools, as well as around 6,000 university students pursuing higher education in various regions,” he said.

According to Nawipa, the free education programme also showed the government’s commitment to expanding education access while reducing the risk of children dropping out of school due to their conditions of low economic.

The financing also covers boarding schools and Central Papuan students pursuing higher education abroad, he added.

For students studying abroad, the provincial government has allocated around Rp30 billion (around US$1.6 million) annually through a grant scheme.

Nawipa added expanding the education access must also be accompanied by improvements in the quality of teaching personnel. Therefore, the provincial government in Central Papua provides support for teacher certification as well as additional incentives.

“Over the past two years, we have also funded 1,800 teachers to obtain certification, enabling them to improve their welfare through additional incentives,” he said.

He then expressed hope all education programmes prepared by the government would be utilised optimally by students, university students, teachers, and beneficiary schools.

“We want Central Papua children to be not only intelligent, but also be honest, have integrity, and remain determined to move forward,” Nawipa said.

Translator: Bayu Prasetyo
Editor: Fransiska Ninditya
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Latest News

Indonesia confirms 68 dead after magnitude 7.7 NTT earthquake

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Indonesia's disaster management agency said on Monday that 68 people had been confirmed dead following the...

More Articles Like This