Site icon Indonesian Updates

Indonesia deploys KRI Dr. Soeharso to quake-hit East Nusa Tenggara

Jakarta (ANTARA) – The Indonesian Navy has deployed the KRI Dr. Soeharso-990 hospital ship to Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara, to support post-earthquake response efforts in areas affected by the magnitude 7.7 earthquake.

Acting Head of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency’s (BNPB) Center for Disaster Data, Information, and Communication Berton SP Panjaitan said Sunday that the ship had arrived at Reo Port in Manggarai District after sailing from Surabaya.

“As of Saturday (August 22), the ship had treated 21 patients, including those requiring fracture surgery, laceration treatment, outpatient care, and three inpatients,” he said.

According to Panjaitan, KRI Dr. Soeharso serves as a hospital support ship equipped with comprehensive medical facilities, including an emergency room, intensive care unit, operating theater, clinic, pharmacy, laboratory, and treatment rooms.

Two treatment rooms, each equipped with 20 beds, will also be prepared, with separate facilities for male and female patients.

Panjaitan noted that the 122-meter-long ship is also equipped with a helicopter landing deck to facilitate medical evacuations from remote areas.

In addition to these facilities, the hospital ship carries a joint medical team from the Indonesian Navy and the Ministry of Health.

The medical services include general health checks, wound care, surgery, and emergency treatment. All services are provided free of charge and prioritized based on medical needs.

The government hopes the hospital ship will enable residents in affected areas to receive prompt and appropriate medical treatment.

Previously, the Ministry of Health activated nine Health Emergency Operation Centers (HEOCs) to strengthen coordination, monitor the situation, and ensure that post-earthquake healthcare needs in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) are promptly addressed.

Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin said on August 18 that the immediate priority was to restore all hospitals in affected districts and cities to full operational capacity, particularly in anticipation of a potential increase in patients in the coming days.

The government is targeting all earthquake-affected Regional General Hospitals (RSUD) in NTT to resume basic services within a week, with a focus on trauma surgery, maternal and child healthcare, and hemodialysis.

Related news: Indonesian Red Cross sends 33,947 relief items to quake-hit NTT

Related news: Flores quake damages 1,378 schools, affecting 177,678 students: BNPB

Translator: Mecca Yumna, Resinta Sulistiyandari
Editor: Primayanti
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Exit mobile version