Indonesia receives upgraded C-130H Hercules after GMF overhaul

Must Read

Tangerang, Banten (ANTARA) – Indonesian maintenance provider PT Garuda Maintenance Facility Aero Asia (GMF) has delivered an upgraded Lockheed C-130H Hercules transport aircraft to the country’s Defense Ministry, extending its service life by up to 20 years.

The aircraft, designated A-1319, is the first C-130 prototype to undergo major structural overhaul and avionics modernization outside Lockheed Martin’s facilities, according to GMF, a subsidiary of state carrier Garuda Indonesia Group.

“GMF has handed the aircraft to Indonesia’s Defense Ministry after completing its modernization,” GMF President Director Andi Fahrurrozi said during a ceremony in Tangerang, Banten, on Wednesday.

“This is the second aircraft completed by GMF after we previously modernized the center wing box of the A-1315.”

The overhaul included replacing the aircraft’s center wing box, upgrading avionics, and implementing a structural integrity program aligned with global standards for the tactical transport platform.

“The work was designed not only to improve avionics capabilities but also to extend the aircraft’s operational life by 15 to 20 years,” Andi said.

“It will also improve the reliability and operational readiness of the C-130 fleet in supporting Air Force missions.”

The project was executed under a defense offset program supported by the Defense Ministry, which included technology transfer from aircraft manufacturer Lockheed Martin.

The modernization was carried out in collaboration with the Indonesian Air Force, state planemaker PT Dirgantara Indonesia, and Lockheed Martin following airworthiness certification by Indonesian defense authorities.

With the A-1319 returned to service, GMF stated it will continue to expand its integrated maintenance, repair, and overhaul (MRO) capabilities for both civil and defense sectors.

Translator: M.Harianto, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Aditya Eko Sigit Wicaksono
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Latest News

NTT tourism sites partly closed after 7.7-magnitude quake: Ministry

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Several tourist destinations in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) remain temporarily closed as a precautionary measure following the...

More Articles Like This