Indonesia steps up Bromo fire checks to prevent new outbreaks

Must Read

Prevention must be strengthened at the grassroots level, and area managers need to continue strengthening community involvement,

Jakarta (ANTARA) – The Forestry Ministry continues to conduct cooling operations and ground checks in areas affected by fires in Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park (TNBTS) to ensure that no residual embers remain.

The ministry’s Director General of Law Enforcement, Dwi Januanto Nugroho, said on Monday that vigilance remained high because the previous fire affected savanna vegetation, mountain pine trees, ferns, shrubs, and layers of leaf litter that could allow embers to persist even after visible flames had subsided.

“The fire may be under control, but the threat of forest and land fires is not over. Prevention must be strengthened at the grassroots level, and area managers need to continue strengthening community involvement, not only in fire prevention but also in national park management,” he said in a statement.

Personnel deployed to the site include members of Manggala Agni from the Forest and Land Fire Control Center for Java, Bali, and Nusa Tenggara (Balai Dalkarhut Jabalnusra) under the Ministry of Forestry’s Directorate General of Law Enforcement.

They are working alongside personnel from the Bromo Tengger Semeru National Park Office (BBTNBTS), the Indonesian Defense Forces (TNI), the National Police (Polri), the East Java Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD), volunteers, and local communities.

According to Nugroho, personnel continue to monitor the burned areas and carry out cooling operations. The efforts focus on locations that may still retain heat to ensure that all embers are fully extinguished and to prevent the fire from spreading to unaffected areas.

Furthermore, the team is monitoring local wind patterns that could lift lightweight materials and potentially carry embers to other areas.

The cooling operations were carried out after the forest and land fires were successfully extinguished following two weeks of firefighting efforts.

Nugroho said the government is continuing to strengthen forest and land fire preparedness ahead of the dry season through measures including Manggala Agni readiness, early detection, patrols, and cross-sector coordination.

He cited the handling of the Mount Bromo fires in East Java as part of efforts to evaluate and reinforce fire prevention measures ahead of the dry season, emphasizing early detection, rapid response, and strong grassroots-level collaboration to prevent fires from escalating into wider ecological damage.

Related news: Forestry Ministry contains 7-ha fire in Riau as cooling continues

Translator: Prisca Triferna, Resinta Sulistiyandari
Editor: M Razi Rahman
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Latest News

Indonesia confirms 68 dead after magnitude 7.7 NTT earthquake

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Indonesia's disaster management agency said on Monday that 68 people had been confirmed dead following the...

More Articles Like This