Site icon Indonesian Updates

Indonesia’s BNN says 2.6 tons of liquid meth could affect 14.1 million

Batam, Riau Islands (ANTARA) – Indonesia’s National Narcotics Agency (BNN) said on Friday that the seizure of 2.6 tons of liquid methamphetamine from the MV Ocean Porter could have prevented drug exposure potentially affecting about 14.1 million people.

BNN Chief Suyudi Ario Seto said the figure reflects the potential impact on society had the drugs been successfully distributed, rather than simply the quantity seized.

“This is not just a number, but lives saved. Our clinical analysis shows that 2.6 tons of liquid meth could produce 2.8 million vape cartridges containing narcotics,” Suyudi said.

Assuming each cartridge could be used by five people, the seized drugs could potentially have affected about 14.1 million people, he said.

“Today, the state has protected more than 14.1 million, precisely 14,130,430 Indonesians, from the threat of permanent neurological damage and ruined futures,” he said.

Suyudi estimated the drugs’ economic value at nearly Rp8.5 trillion (US$480.8 million), based on an estimated value of about Rp3 million (US$170) per cartridge.

He said the seizure resulted from cooperation between BNN, the Directorate General of Customs and Excise, and the Riau Islands Police.

Suyudi said the operation began with intelligence gathering and analysis by BNN and Customs, which detected anomalies in the MV Rain Maker’s movements starting in December 2025.

The Malacca Strait and the Riau Islands are strategic routes vulnerable to international drug networks seeking to smuggle narcotics into Indonesia, he said.

“On Aug. 16, 2026, the team resumed monitoring the Tanzania-flagged vessel through marine traffic monitoring systems. It had changed names several times, most recently to MV Ocean Porter,” he said.

The vessel’s movements through Taiwan, the Philippines, Sarawak, the South China Sea, Thailand, and the Malacca Strait heightened authorities’ suspicions, Suyudi said.

“On Aug. 17, the team moved to Tanjung Balai Karimun to monitor the waters. Three vessels then converged at Tanjung Parit, where they intercepted the ship,” he said.

Authorities found several violations during the inspection, including suspected identity fraud involving the vessel’s registration and identity, which had previously operated under other names.

They also found four containers, including one containing about 1.57 million Chinese cigarettes without excise stamps.

Authorities then discovered a hidden compartment containing a liquid substance. Testing with the Narcotics Identification System identified the substance as liquid methamphetamine weighing 2.6 tons.

Officers also arrested 10 crew members, all Myanmar nationals, identified by the initials ST, YY, KZ, PP, TK, KM, HT, SM, TH, and ATK.

Suyudi said the evidence and crew members would undergo further investigation to uncover the international network behind the smuggling operation.

Customs and Excise Director General Djaka Budi Utama said the operation was part of the agency’s role as a community protector, overseeing goods entering and leaving Indonesia.

“Customs and Excise will remain on the front line protecting borders, safeguarding the public, and ensuring healthy economic growth,” he said.

The seizure of about 1.57 million unstamped cigarettes represented an estimated Rp4.463 billion (US$252,400) in lost state revenue, Djaka said.

Related news: National Narcotics Agency arrests fugitive drug lord in North Jakarta

Related news: Indonesia’s navy destroys nearly 1.3 tons of seized ketamine

Translator: Amandine N, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: M Razi Rahman
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Exit mobile version