Site icon Indonesian Updates

Prabowo steps up fight against Central Kalimantan forest fires

Jakarta (ANTARA) – President Prabowo Subianto assured that the government is stepping up efforts to combat forest and land fires in Central Kalimantan, aiming to prevent the fires from spreading and new hotspots from emerging.

Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya said the president received updates on the situation and operational needs on the ground while chairing a coordination meeting at the Central Kalimantan Forest and Land Fire Command Post in Palangka Raya on Saturday (August 22).

“The president received reports on requirements on the ground and confirmed that government support will continue to be reinforced,” he said in a statement released by the Presidential Secretariat in Jakarta on Sunday.

To bolster firefighting efforts, the government ordered the deployment of four additionalfour water-bombing helicopters on Sunday.

In addition, fire engines and equipment to ensure adequate water supplies at fire sites are also being deployed and expanded.

“Fire engines have been deployed to support firefighting operations on the ground. The supply of pumps, water pipes, and drilled-well machines continues to be provided to strengthen water availability for the operations,” he said.

Teddy explained that while continuing to tackle active fires, the government is placing preventive measures as a vital measure in wildfire management.

The readiness of field personnel is also being strengthened to prevent the fires from spreading and to stop new hotspots from emerging.

According to Ministry of Forestry data, forest and land fires in Central Kalimantan burned 7,634.46 hectares between January 1 and August 1, 2026.

The total burned area is lower than the figure recorded during the same period last year, a decrease that comes amid the government’s strengthened preparedness and mitigation efforts.

President Prabowo remains optimistic that the forest and land fires in Central Kalimantan will soon be brought under control.

“The government will continue to step up response efforts on the ground while taking firm legal action against any parties found to have deliberately started the fires,” Teddy stressed.

Related news: No formal protests over Sumatra, Kalimantan fires: Indonesian lawmaker

Related news: Responders fight spreading wildfire in Indonesia’s Way Kambas Park

Related news: Indonesian govt investigates four firms over West Kalimantan fires

Translator: Prisca Triferna, Raka Adji
Editor: M Razi Rahman
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

Exit mobile version