Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA) – Chief of XVII/Cenderawasih Military Command, Maj. Gen. Febriel Sikumbang, said the Indonesian military (TNI) was coordinating efforts to secure residents of Jila in Mimika District, Central Papua, who were reportedly taken or held hostage by an armed group.
Authorities are collecting data to determine measures to locate and secure residents reportedly taken by the armed group.
“The measures are aimed at protecting residents in the area, including those reportedly taken by the armed group,” Sikumbang told ANTARA in Jayapura, Papua, on Thursday (August 20).
The 173/PVB Military Resort commander is currently in Timika coordinating the response, while the Mimika district administration is also working to provide assistance to residents, he said.
Related news: Indonesia’s army in Central Papua calls Jila abductions “inhumane”
On Wednesday (August 19), the 173/PVB Military Resort Command and the TNI Joint Operations Command visited Jila, where security conditions have gradually improved, authorities said.
“Security measures have been coordinated to restore stability in the area,” Sikumbang, who heads the XVII/Cenderawasih Military Command, added.
The armed group was previously reported to have taken nine women in Pasir Putih Village, Jila Subdistrict, Mimika District, Central Papua Province, on Monday (August 17) and Tuesday (August 18).
The nine abducted civilians are identified as Nemerina Wamang, 17, who is newly pregnant; Alin Mesawarol, sixth grade; Nopi Aim, fourth grade; Opinte Meswaro, third grade; Yonita Senawatme, 18; Meria Nibilingame, 15; Wena Katagame, 18; Ilimin Onawame, 18; and Miante Nibilingame, 13.
Related news: TNI chases armed group abducting nine women in Central Papua
Translator: Evarukdijati, Rahmad Nasution
Editor: Fransiska Ninditya
Copyright © ANTARA 2026
